Tiktok Trends: Make Hot Chocolate Bombs At Home
Ah, the cold months are slowly coming upon us, and as an avid hot chocolate lover, seeing the latest viral trend of “hot chocolate bombs” taking the food world by storm had me on board from the get-go.
This essentially hollow chocolate bomb that’s filled with a surprise inside, which is dropped into your mug of hot milk where it melts, revealing the surprise. It's such a fun and cute little extra make, which will make a hot mug of hot chocolate on a cold day a little bit extra special.
Where did it all start?
This delicious trend was started by a self-taught baker Sweets by Jen on Facebook when she posted a video of her hot chocolate bombs, which quickly went viral, inspiring many people to give it a try.
TRENDY HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS RECIPE
Ingredients & Equipment
100g Semi-Sweet Chocolate
4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Mini Marshmallows
Silicone Moulds (you can use circular ones or any mold shape you have available; make sure the size would be able to fit in your mug)
1.. Break your chocolate and slowly melt in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Be careful not to let the chocolate get too hot otherwise; it won’t set properly and will be too difficult to remove from the mold - try tempering.
2. Prep your mold by spraying it with some non-stick spray lightly over it.
3. Add a spoonful of the melted chocolate into the mold halves, spinning it around carefully so the mold is evenly coated, and make sure there isn't any sitting in the middle. Repeat this step, so the chocolate shell will end up nice and thick.
4. Next, pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes minimum or a couple of hours.
5. When they’ve hardened, remove them carefully from the mold using a light hand so they don’t break, and place them on a plate.
6. Next, in one-half of the chocolate shells with some mini marshmallows and some cocoa powder while they’re on the plate.
7. Heat the frying pan at a low temperature - before taking out the other half of the chocolate shells. Gently place it on the frying pan with the rim of the chocolate half on the pan for a second or two to melt it slightly. Then quickly stick it over the other chocolate shell containing the marshmallows and cocoa powder on the plate.
8. If you see your ball isn’t completely sealed, you can take a bit more melted chocolate and seal in the edges.
9. Once all your chocolate balls are sealed, place them back in the freezer for another 10 minutes to harden a bit more.
10. You can keep them as is, decorate them with sprinkles, melted white chocolate; the options are endless.
11. When you want to give them a taste, heat some milk before dropping in your hot chocolate bomb and watch the chocolate melt, and the mini marshmallows pop up before stirring and enjoying some hot chocolate.